Came across this super interesting article online. I myself love all Martial Arts, from traditional to not so traditional. Please take a couple minutes to check it out.
The most effective Martial Arts from sport to self defense.
10. MMA Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) – one of the fastest growing sports in the world. It’s actually a combination of various martial arts rather than just the type of martial art, however, this Top 10 Martial Arts list is our visitors’ choice, not mine, and I do respect that. MMA combines both striking and grappling, and even punches while fighting on the ground. The technique of MMA is really wide-range and involves many types of martial arts within it. The most popular MMA organization in the world currently is the Ultimate Fight Championship (UFC).
9. Judo – most effective for its throws and takedowns martial arts system, founded by Jigoro Kano in Japan. It’s very popular and competitive sport, which is the part of Olympic games since 1964. Judo practitioners called – Judoka wears uniform – Judogi wrapped with the belt. Belt color depends on practitioner’s level. Judo martial art is very popular between MMA fighters and is still effectively used today.
8. Wing Chun – the most popular type of Kung Fu from China. Wing Chun technique involves close combat range that uses striking and grappling. It’s also a popular self-defense martial art. The most famous Wing Chun practitioners were Yip Man and Bruce Lee.
7. Tae kwon do – the most popular Korean Martial Art that is also a Korean national sport and it’s truly one of the top 10 martial arts in the world. You will need strength, stamina, speed as well as flexibility to master this art. The most powerful weapon of Taekwondo is kicks. There are many coaches teaching this martial art form and it is one of the most commonly taught type of martial arts in the world.
6. Boxing – some may argue that boxing is not a martial art form while others will see it differently. People who have never tried boxing think those fighters are just punching each other’s face and there is nothing more to it. However, that is the opinion of people who lack the knowledge about this sport. The main weapon in boxing is punches with precise, fast footwork and body movement. To be a good boxer you need not just skills, technique and punch power – you will also need to be smart, react quickly to changing situations, make fast decisions and choose the right tactic during the fight.
5. Kung Fu – the most popular Chinese Martial Art in the world. It is mostly known from famous Jackie Chan and other Chinese action/martial arts movies. Kung Fu has deep traditions and philosophy; it will develop not just your whole body, but the soul and mind as well. Kung Fu training involves fighting with weapons, meditations and studying different fighting styles. They all have interesting names: Monkey style, five animals, drunken boxing and others.
4. Karate – the most popular Japanese martial art that has many different styles. Shotokan, Kyokushinkai, Shito Ryu, Wado Ryu, Goju Ryu – those are the most popular ones. Karate teaches you discipline and self-development. It can also be used as self-defense method. Karate technique is divided into 3 main parts: kumite, kihon and kata.
3. Krav Maga – it’s a martial art and self-defense system founded by Imrich Lichtenfeld in Israel. But it’s getting significantly more popular around the world. Krav Maga has very effective technique that is quite easy to learn for everyone regardless of their age or gender, and then use it to protect themselves in dangerous life situations.
2. Muay Thai – Thailand’s martial art form which it is very popular around the world. It’s a full contact sport that teaches almost all possible standing strikes: shins, knees, fists, feet, and elbows. Every part of your body, even the ones normally considered vulnerable, can be turned into deadly weapons with the use of Muay Thai. It’s widely used among MMA fighters and is considered to be one of the best types of martial arts in the world.
1. And the winner, that received the most of our visitors’ votes in our Top 10 Martial Arts in the World list is – Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ). It’s difficult to explain, but I know from my personal experience that I fell in love with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu during my first training session. This wonderful type of martial art became famous during the very first Ultimate Fighting Championship competitions, when Royce Gracie defeated his opponents one after another by using just BJJ technique. Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is currently the most popular martial art among MMA fighters. As wdmio Gracie said – “Jiu-Jitsu is for the protection of the individual, the older man, the weak, the child, the lady, the young women – anyone who doesn’t have the physical attributes to defend themselves.